In conjunction with our MLK Celebration Dinner, NNBCAS conducts an annual youth essay contest. The contest is open to all students aged elementary through college in Nevada. Scholarship funds are awarded by Nevada Air National Guard.
Our theme for 2013 is:
“Move Forward with the Dream: Impact, Empower, Imprint!“
What do you think needs to be done in order to move Dr. King’s dream forward in the 21st century? Discuss the Dream’s Impact, Empowerment, and Imprint.
Please submit your entry to:
MLK Essay Contest
PO Box 21448
Reno, NV 89515
Alternatively, you may submit your entry digitally by emailing it to:
Your entry must be attached as either an Adobe PDF document or a Microsoft Office Word document, any other attachments will be discarded.
Cash prizes will be awarded in the following categories:
College, High School, Middle School, and Elementary School.
- One entry per person.
- All entries must be the original work of the contestant.
- All essays must be typed.
- All entries should include a cover page with the author’s name, telephone number, grade level, and the name and phone number of their school or organization.
- Pages must be numbered and stapled together with the author’s name on the cover page only.
- All entries must focus on the theme.
- All essays become the property of the Northern Nevada Black Cultural Awareness society and will not be returned or remitted to their original author.
- No previous winners may win again.
- All entries must be received or postmarked January 2, 2013.